Monty House (College Museum)
The College Museum is housed in a historical bungalow, old 48 Staff College Road (SSC). The house was built in 1905 as a residential accommodation for Directing Staff. Colonel B L Montgomery, destined to go down in history as Field Marshal the Viscount Montgomery of Alamein resided here as Senior Instructor from 6 June 1934 to 28 June 1937. It was in this house that Mrs Montgomery sat knitting the night before the fateful day of the devastating earthquake of 1935. However, from 1937 it was converted into student officers' accommodation. The idea of converting old Montgomery House into a Museum was floated in 1976; however, the it was materialisedin 1978. The rooms were suitably renovated and furnished, and the house divided into wings. The house was named 'The Monty House' with a room dedicated to the belongings of the distinguished Field Marshal. The Museum was formally inaugurated by the President of Pakistan, General Muhammad Zia ulHaq on 16 May 1979 on the eve of College's Platinum Jubilee celebrations.
The Museum holds a vast repertoire of historical documents, artefacts, furniture, trophies, weapons, uniform items, medals and paintings. It also features memorabilia depicting various stages of evolution of the Staff College.
In year 2003, an extension block to the old Museum was added as an expansion project to house some additional items of historical significance. The new block, Slim Hall,has been named after the celebrated College alumnus, Field Marshal Slim.
In September 2004, the Museum was rearranged into two main portions; the items from pre-Independence era kept in the Monty House while those from the post Independence times displayed in the Slim Hall.
At the entrance of the building is the Royalty Room and Field Marshals' Gallery. On the right are the photographs of Field Marshals associated with the College including a picture of Field Marshal Muhammad Ayub Khan. Some of the other photographs are of Auchinleck, Slim and Montgomery. A painting of Lord Kitchener is also walled in the Museum.
In the Commandants Room, one can view photographs of all Commandants, under whose stewardship this great Institution has flourished over the past hundred years.
The Museum also has a unique album's section, covering host of important activities, visits and milestones in the College history over the years.
The visit of Quaid-i-Azam along with Miss Fatima Jinnah, his address to the officers of the College as the Father of the Nation, delivered on 14 June 1948 along with his exquisite painting is displayed in one of the corners.
Directing Staff Hall exhibits relate to their activities, subsequent achievements and souvenirs etcetera gifted to the College by them. 'Owl' presented by General Agha Muhammad Yahya Khan adds colour to some of the unique exhibits.
Old Visitors' Book and Scrap Book are also placed in the Museum.
Exercise 'MAILED FIST' written by General Muhammad Zia ulHaq, when he was a member of the Directing Staff, is an interesting read for the visitors.
In Monty's Study, the table and chair of Field Marshal Montgomery interest the visitors, apart from some other rare collections.
The Students' Hall is a valuable record of courses, their activities and various souvenirs gifted by them.
Two vintage guns of mid-nineteenth century and two of First World War add richness to the facade of the building.
For the College Centenary celebrations, a complete uplift of the Complex was undertaken to enhance preservation and beautification through better casing facilities and exterior plantation. Following items were added to the repository in January 2005 to include a Photo Album Rack, three Show Cases for preserving various dresses, a Board displaying curricular and extra-curricular activities of yester years, three small Show Cases for old foundation bricks manufactured in 1901, 1903 and 1905, curtains with College colours and emblems, Lamination Machine and a Computer.
Blamey's Corner. The Command and Staff College has been the Alma Mater of renowned officers from the countries all over the world. Blamey's corner has been established in the memory of Capt (Later Field Marshal) Thomas Albert Blamey(24 January 1884 - 27 May 1951) who graduated from the Command and Staff College Quetta in 1912 / 13. He was the first Australian officer who reached the rank of Field Marshal. At the occasion of the 100th Anniversary of graduation of Field Marshal Thomas. A. Blamey, Vice Chief of Australian Defence Forces, Air Marshal Mark Binskin, inaugurated the Blamey's Corner on 16 August 2013. He presented the personal cane and picture of the Field Marshal for Blamey's Corner in the College Museum.